R & D Engineer (San Antonio, TX)
Location: San Antonio, TX
Reports to: Ajay Vidyasagar
Since 1997 XPEL has been an unparalleled innovative force and world leader in the protective films industry. XPEL is seeking an experienced Product Manager for its Protective Films business. The Product Manager position is critical to the growth, expansion, and profitability of XPEL’s brands and products.
XPEL offers a casual, fast-paced environment in a growth-oriented company. We offer a very competitive “TOTAL REWARDS” package, including 401(k) matching contributions up to 4%, nearly 3 weeks of PTO, company-paid short and long-term disability and a comprehensive health & wellness package.
This individual will be managing XPEL’s analytical laboratory supporting quality, R&D, and Manufacturing requirements across all of XPEL’s product portfolio and help drive efficiency and expand on current capability as appropriate to XPEL’s business needs. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. The ideal candidate for this position is a detail-oriented individual with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, capable of understanding our products and acknowledging with ease its strengths and limitations with the intent to steer the development and evolution of our solutions. The candidate also has very strong communication skills and manages to communicate with a variety of stakeholders within XPEL.
The preferred location for this role will be at out of our office in San Antonio, TX. The Lab Manager will report to the Director of Technology.
Major Job Responsibilities:
• Lead and oversee the development of XPEL’s core technologies.
• Work with Quality/manufacturing, and supply chain to identify and secure key strategic materials for existing and new PPF, coatings, and related technologies
• Provide robust technical solutions to new product development initiatives and lend support to sales and product management teams
• Bridge the gap from bench scale testing to industrial manufacturing processes
• Knowledge build and assess risk & factor all relevant industrial process & material validation on product performance through its life cycle
• Develop plans and procedures for specifications & fabrication of components, integration of technologies, balancing cost & manufacturability
• Serve as technical interface to vendors and manufacturers
• Maintain meticulous documentation of work performed
• Provide leadership to the junior technical team
• Willingness to engage in domestic and worldwide travel to coordinate work with suppliers, manufacturers and customers (up to 20%)
• Strong technical background in polymer/material science, thin films, coatings, and associated technologies
• A strong background in thermal, mechanical, and optical properties for polymer multilayer films using advanced analytical tools like DMA/DHR, DSC, FTIR, TGA, profilometer, optical microscopy, etc.
• Strong understanding of design of experiments and corresponding data analysis
• Knowledge in polymer film processing, roll to roll, sheet extrusion and related technologies
• Experience working with domestic and international vendors
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in STEM with 5+ years of relevant experience. Advanced degree preferred.
• Experience working with interdisciplinary teams to drive programs from concept to production/commercialization